Is the word “crap” a swear word?

Spread the love

I am diverting from my usual parenting rambles today to ask a question, garner opinion, maybe even stir up debate.

What I want to know, and I am looking for all opinions on both sides of the fence…

Is the word “crap” a swear word?

Here’s why I am asking. I use the word. It’s a part of my vocabulary. It’s a word I have used for as long as I can remember, when I am describing something that is bad, rubbish, broken, or in a bad situation. I will also use it as an expletive, occasionally. For me, it’s a common slang word, I am culturally used to using it. I know however that my South African husband, friends and family do not like it as word, to be used in normal conversation, and that others also don’t like it. My American cousins and family use the word, it isn’t seen as a swear word.

When you look up the definition of the word, from the Oxford English dictionary this is what you get:

Define crap

People have commented before when I have used the word, that it’s a swear word, or not a polite word. I personally have never thought of it that way. Culturally for me, it’s no more a rude word than “damn” or “that’s rubbish”. However I know my mother didn’t approve of the word, and now I have noticed that occasionally that my children will use it, and I know some people don’t like it as ans find it offensive. It could be many worse words, I know, but what I really want to know is:

Do you consider the word rude? Or do you think it’s harmless part of normal vocabulary. If you comment, I would love to know where you are from, as well, to give me an idea of background.

So, let it loose. Crap? Is it a swear word or not?

Posted in Me, beyond just being "mum" Tagged with: ,
7 comments on “Is the word “crap” a swear word?
  1. Charlene says:

I think it’s a rude word, although it’s important to note that I don’t think rude words are bad words, I love all the words 🙂 I would be a little taken aback if I heard a child say it, whereas I wouldn’t evenn notice ‘it’s rubbish’ but I’d be happy for my kid to say it, when he starts saying anything! I’m from the UK

2. Jill Robbins says:

I don’t think there’s a yes or no answer to this one…it’s all situational, depending on who you say it to and how old the person is that’s saying it. So funny…my daughter asked me when she was in the 7th grade if crap was a bad word and was she allowed to say it. I was stumped on the first part of the question and told her no on the second. She ended up using it anyway. There are worse things than saying crap but I am judicious on who I use swear words with. I’m a big fan of swearing but I try to really consider my audience most of the time.

3. Mrs Tubbs says:

Crap is not a swear! If it is, I am in such trouble as that means I’m swearing all the time #pocolo

4. Silly Mummy says:

No, I don’t class it as a true ‘swear’ word. I think it’s slang and, as dictionary says, in category of ‘vulgar’, I suppose (as in it isn’t polite). So I would never use it in a formal setting – I wouldn’t have said it when talking to clients at work, for example. But I would say it in front of my mum, which I don’t with any true swear words. It’s like damn, bollocks, feck, etc to me – I don’t class them as swearing really.
    Silly Mummy recently posted…We’re All Mad Here

5. Rubarb says:

I dont think it is

6. bob says:

no i said it 24/7 when i was 10

7. Kerry Cat says:

I’m really interested in this one. It wasn’t a word I even thought about until a friend pulled me up (quite sharply!) today when we were out on a play date. I was describing my husband’s habit of giving my children junk food, and said something along the lines of, “…He feeds them ‘crap’ between meals.” I was mortified when she pulled me for it, asking me not to use THAT word. I considered I’d dropped the ‘F-bomb’ at first, but no, the offending word was ‘crap’. It’s not even a word I’ve ever considered to be a swear word, let alone offensive. I felt so self-consious after that, as I use the word regularly and without ever thinking. It wasn’t ever considered something negative in our house growing up, and my parents were really strict on swearing/slang. So we’d often use ‘crap’ or ‘crappy’ to describe something shabby, rubbish or useless, and it was perfectly acceptable. (Not really ever used to describe poo, although, I know to some it means that.) I think it is a word I’ll be more hesitant to use in public in future, but more because of other people. Not because I consider it offensive, personally, or have an issue with my children using it, as opposed to what I’d consider real profanities. 😉