Today I’m a bad parent because…

Spread the love

I am starting a new series. I am FED up of the way parents, and actually mothers, to be honest, are put under so much pressure, to be perfect and to have this parenting thing under control and be able to do it all, and the constant judgement we are under. This parenting job is HARD, we get no training, we don’t get paid, and we do it because we want to and love our children. Sometimes we don’t get it right, sometimes we get it more than right. We are all mostly just trying to do our best. I am tired of the “how to be a perfect wife, mother, craft provider, cleaning lady, cook…” stuff that gets flung at us every day. We need to take the guilt and throw it away and enjoy parenting, but also be able to admit when it’s not going so well, or might be a bit tough…

It’s not about glorifying bad parenting, I am not about to post that I am drinking gin at 4pm, whilst my children run riot in another room (although after the hideous school run home, we have just had, that is a tempting prospect!) but about admitting that we are just human and might not have it all together, might have yelled, not cleaned up well, not cooked dinner from scratch, handed homework in late, pretended to need the toilet just so you could hide in the bathroom for 5 minutes of peace… It’s all ok. Let it out!

So, I will start. You can add your own comment here, or on the Facebook page, or on Twitter!

Today I’m a bad parent, because when we got home from school after a tantrum filled walk home, because a certain little boy is exhausted and life isn’t going his way, instead of the activity I had planned to do together, to spend some time with them having not seen them all day, I have sent one to a bedroom to read quietly and the other is watching tv, and both have been allowed to choose a treat from the sweet jar, and I plan to keep them where they are til dinner time, because they can’t be nice to each other, or me. I haven’t seen either of them all day, but despite my attempts, us being all together isn’t working, so I have given up. Peace is good!

There, that’s mine. What’s yours??

9 comments on “Today I’m a bad parent because…
  1. vikki says:

mine is that following a busy night shift and doing thr school run and pre school run and having 1 hour to umm sleep haha before returning to pick up pre schooler. we spent the afternoon watching frozen eating mikado sticks. i have given my kids packet noodles and peas with a bit of left over chicken for dinner they have had marshmallows for pudding and all i can think about is keeping them from moaning or fighting until bedtime.

plus my house is a total mess and the mother in law is due at 830 tomorrow morning!

Sounds like a perfect way to a)spend an afternoon, and b)dinner to me. Good luck, I hope you get some rest and MIL behaves herself! Mine lives 5600 miles away, so I don’t have that panic, that the house is a mess and she is coming over!

2. Elaine says:

I’m a bad mum because as I sit here on the internet checking out facebook, my toddler is sat watching people unwrap kinder eggs on youtube via the iPad! it keeps him quiet! x
    Elaine recently posted…Hosting a Gruffalo themed birthday party!

I am now off to You Tube people unwrapping Kinder Eggs, I had no idea that was a thing. I wonder if it would entertain my children….? 😉

3. Nina says:

Today Im a bad parent because my 5 year old is stood in front of the TV sucking ketchup directly out of the bottle. I’m sat here feeding the baby & my head aches so horribly I simply cant bear a ‘discussion’ (again) about why it’s a bad idea to ‘drink’ sauce. I have just pretended not to notice. OK, as the baby has unlatched, I will now remove the ketchup from the 5 year old… but I still dont have the energy to tell him off. Bad Me. Bad.

In the US, I am pretty sure ketchup is considered a vegetable when served with school dinners, or so I read, somewhere, so you are all good, he is eating one of his 5 a day! 😉 Not a ketchup fan, myself, but I have been known to lick mayonnaise of a spoon..(ew, I know) Hope your head feels better!

4. Sarah Ebner says:

Sounds like pretty good and sensible parenting to me! Perhaps we’re all sometimes amazing and sometimes okay, but overall I reckon it works out….
    Sarah Ebner recently posted…Blair Drummond Safari Park in Scotland (by Robert)

5. Absolutely love this! Mine this week is throwing the baby infront of Barney/Postman Pat for ten minutes just so I can sit and relax for a bit and maybe even get a bit of the washing up done – apparently my child will be damaged by tv before 2 years old but I need it for my mental health!
    Lisa – Four Walls, Rainy Days recently posted…All about that Face

6. EVODD says:

These stories are hilarious! Everybody needs a little peace and quiet from time to time, especially moms. I would not call it “bad parenting.” I would call it “being human.”