Spread the love
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 4
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 30g
Dietary Fiber 6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Roast chicken carcass with some meat still left on
- 1 glass of wine (red or white, whatever you have to hand)
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 carrots cleaned and chopped and 1 for reserve
- 2 gloves of garlic, chopped
- 200g of pearl barley
- 2000ml of water
- pinch of dried thyme
- pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Place the onion, garlic and carrots in the slow cooker and put the chicken carcass in on top
- Cover with 1500ml of the water, and add the wine
- Add a twist of salt and ground black pepper and the pinch of thyme
- Cook on high, for 8 hours, then add the remaining 500ml of water, and cook on low for a further 2 hours. I usually do this over night, and just turn it down to low first thing to let it finish.
- Drain the contents of the pan into a bowl or large jug, using a sieve to catch the bones and veg
- Pour the liquid back into the slow cooker pan (or at this point you can leave it to cool and freeze or refrigerate it, for use a later date)
- Pick through and take out any bits of meat that you want to add back to the stock and add them back to the pan
- Pour in the pearl barley and the reserved chopped other carrot
- Add a little more salt and pepper to taste and cook on high for 2 hours, then low for 2 hours.
- Serve or you can portion it out and freeze it.
- We like to add a little dried chilli flakes for heat, but you can skip this if you prefer not to.
- Calories per serving 200 (approx)