Yorkshire puddings – cows milk free, gluten free and amazing!

Spread the love

Yorkies1

I have been using a recipe I have tweaked, to make dairy (cows milk) free Yorkshire puddings, for a while. Because LSH can tolerate a small amount of gluten, he eats them, but my mother in law prefers to eat gluten free when at all possible, and I was making a roast lunch today, and in our house, you cannot have roast lunch without Yorkshire puddings, so I decided to try them with gluten free flour….

I can hand on heart say, that if you eat these, you would not know they are gluten free. They came out crispy and golden and soaked up gravy beautifully. I am delighted they worked out. These really are amazing, gluten free, and glorious!

I used this Dove’s Farm gluten free flour. They have their own recipe, but I used my own, and it worked well. It contains Rice, Potato, Tapioca, Maize & Buckwheat. It does require  a little more liquid than normal flour, I think because of the “absorbent” capacity of the first three ingredients but It just tweaked my normal recipe and worked it out.

You  need:

A muffin tin tray. This recipe makes approximately 12 Yorkshire puddings.

Yorkies2
·        A large plastic jug (makes pouring the batter much easier)

·        Vegetable oil

·        300 ml milk (approximately, you may have to tweak this, as I said above)

·        115 g plain flour

·        1 pinch salt and pepper and 3/4 tsp of baking powder (gluten free stuff is available in most supermarkets)

·        3 free-range eggs

Put the flour, baking powder,  salt and pepper into a jug, then add the milk, and whisk thoroughly. The add the eggs, and whisk again, to make sure there no lumps. I then put the batter mix in the fridge for at least half an hour. I find the best way to make crispy, well risen puddings is to make sure the batter is cold, and the oil  is super hot. I put about a tablespoon of oil in each muffin slot, and put the tray in the oven, to heat the oil for 10 minutes, at 220. When the oil is heated, carefully pour the batter into each slot, and put them back in the oven at 200 for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven and if it is a fan system or not. They should be risen, golden and crispy, and slightly doughy inside. Don’t open the oven to check on them, if you can avoid it, you don’t want to deflate them.

Enjoy, with lots of good gravy and the rest of your roast. Gluten free, cows milk free Yorkshire puddings are possible, we use this recipe  regularly. You can also find our recipe for Toad in the Hole, to try too…

*You can use soya milk or normal cows milk, if dairy is not a problem for your family*

Posted in Living with food allergies & food intolerances Tagged with: , , , , ,
13 comments on “Yorkshire puddings – cows milk free, gluten free and amazing!
  1. Gayle says:

Do you think they would work with almond milk and spelt flour?

I have never really cooked with almond milk, but if you use the unsweetened kind, I assume it would be similar to soya milk in consistency (which I have used) and should work. I think spelt flour would work too, you may just have to tweak amounts, depending on absorbency, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t. Spelt is just a much older version of wheat, much finer, so it should work. I would experiment a bit, it took me a while to come up with the right measurements for this recipe, just adjusting stuff. Be interested to hear how it works?

2. kevin Campbell says:

Do you think buying 6 gluten free sausages would also make this recipe suitable for toad in the hole?

3. kevin Campbell says:

• admin says:

Yes, I use it all the time with gf sausages. I cook the sausages for 15 mins, in a Pyrex then add the batter. No need to add oil.

4. samantha maguire says:

But spelt isn’t gluten free – I could paste links here but right click is disabled.

• admin says:

Spelt does contain gluten but some people can tolerate the low amount. The pancake mix would work for someone who was able to eat spelt flour.

5. Kate says:

Do these freeze well?

• admin says:

I’ve not tried, to be honest, because they tend to get eaten, but they should be ok to freeze precooked, and cooked. My next batch I’ll freeze some of both and edit the blog post accordingly if it works.

6. Sue says:

Tried these today & they were honestly the best Yorkshire puds I’ve ever made – thanks!! So much better than previous dairy-free attempts. I used spelt flour & oat milk.

7. Natalie says:

These were fab, thanks so much for the recipe! So nice to see my lb enjoying a Yorkshire pud! I think he actually preferred these to regular ones! Hubby and I also really enjoyed them. We used reduced sugar almond milk and they were delish!

8. Lisa Thomson says:

Would this work with gf self raising as I have no baking powder

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Yorkshire puddings – cows milk free, gluten free and amazing!"